2012 SHRM NEW MEXICO HR EXCELLENCE AWARD
This award recognizes a human resource professional and/or company who have advanced the profession in a significant way. At the top of their profession, the individuals and/or company nominated for this award serve as role models for their peers and community, set the standard that others follow and apply their expertise to enhance the human resource profession across New Mexico.
Benefits of Receiving the Award
- Professional recognition by peers and business leaders for excellence in human resource strategy development and execution
- Award presented at SHRM NM event
- Recognition on the SHRM New Mexico State Council Web site, www.shrmnm.org
- Personalized, engraved award
- An individual and/or company located in New Mexico;
- An individual who is a current member of a SHRM affiliated NM Chapter or a current member of the national SHRM organization; or
- A company with at least one member of the HR department who is a current member of a SHRM affiliated NM Chapter or a current member of the national SHRM organization.
- Colleague or manager nomination
- Chapter nomination
- State Council nomination
- Nominations must be received by January 14th, 2013 (see nomination form)
- Submit the SHRM NM HR Excellence Award Form
- Incomplete entries may be disqualified at the discretion of the Selection Committee
The Selection Committee will evaluate the nominations, taking into account:
- The nominee’s and/or company’s accomplishments in 2012
- Contributions made to advance the profession and drive organizational effectiveness including, but not limited to: recruiting and retention, compensation and performance, organizational learning, diversity, risk management, significant organizational change, legislative issues, collaboration with community organizations, volunteer leadership, or any other activities that advance the human resources profession in the state
- Innovative approaches, ideas and strategic partnerships
- Demonstrated behaviors that are consistent with SHRM’s Code of Ethics
It is strongly recommended that your nomination form clearly address the criteria above.
All nominations will be evaluated and winner selected by a Selection Committee comprised of volunteers leaders from the State Council. The winner will be announced at the SHRM NM Employment Law & Legislative Conference on February 25, 2013.
Note: The Selection Committee may elect not to award a winner.
Celebrating the 2012 Winner
Congratulations to Wendy Shannon! This honor is well deserved. Wendy is owner and principal consultant of Human Resources Works, LLC. She has over 25 years of experience in the human resource field. She provides consultative services on integrating HR initiatives and business strategy; as well as a wide range of organizational development and management functions.
Wendy has served in several volunteer leader roles with SHRM NM and HRMA (local Albuquerque based SHRM Affiliated professional chapter). Most recently she was the SHRM NM State Council as Director for the calendar years 2010 and 2011 and is presently serving as Immediate Past Director. Additionally she served as Co-Chair for the SHRM NM State Conference in 2008. During her tenure as Council Director she was instrumental in building transparency in the board activities and expenditures, publishing meeting minutes and including a treasurer report at each board meeting.
Wendy was instrumental in developing collaborative relationships with all SHRM chapters and diversified the state council members to be more representative of a state-wide organization. She saw that volunteer leaders outside of Albuquerque sometimes traveled a great distance for the board meetings and in order to ensure their attendance, she set up a procedure for the state council to pay for overnight stays for those members. Wendy worked closely with SHRM Governmental Affairs to coordinate SHRM staff to attend every chapter in NM during 2011 to kick-off the SHRM Advocacy Campaign in NM. It was very successful.
Wendy exemplifies the characteristics of a model Volunteer HR leader and professional in her ability to work cohesively and strategically with the board members. She planned each council board meeting to include professional development and offer HR Certification credit s for certified members and this practice continues. Wendy continues to be an integral part of the council and a strong mentor to the leadership of the council.
Photo: Vick Lusk (left), SHRM NM State Council Director presents Wendy Shannon (right) with her award at the 2013 SHRM NM Employment Law & Legislative Conference in Albuquerque.